Tuesday, December 28, 2010

An Anniversary Tea

Monday was our twenty-fifth wedding anniversary.  Back then our Friday evening nuptials in a candlelit chapel was a modest event with the radiators pinging away during the service as they warmed up.  But as we left the church, the bells began to ring and a gentle snowfall brightened up the dark sky.

Celebrating your anniversary during the festive season does present some problems.  The thought of a lovely dinner at a restaurant can lose some of its appeal when you are already one Quality Street chocolate away from your stretchy pants.  A Nutcracker Tea at The King Edward Hotel in Toronto proved to be the perfect solution.

The tearoom was lovely with its high ceilings and decorative plaster and I could easily pretend that we were thousands of miles away in London (sorry, I can't help it).  Two bubbly glasses of champagne promptly arrived courtesy of the hotel.  R was being a good sport about the whole tea event, much preferring a pint or cup of coffee.  He opted for The Ploughman's Tea with its more substantial offerings and raved about the tourtiere and Scotch egg.  My three-tiers of finger sandwiches and pastries were absolutely delicious...and surprisingly filling!  This could well become a tradition.

On the drive home I asked him 'if you could do it all over again...' meaning our marriage, not the tea.  We had a good laugh and thought that we would.

16 comments:

  1. Happy 25th, Darlene! Sounds like a lovely way to celebrate. (p.s. I am currently living in my stretchy pants:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Silver Wedding Anniversary!

    Beautiful place to have tea.

    carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy anniversary, Darlene. I've stayed at that hotel a couple of times - don't think I ever had tea there but their breakfasts were wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary Darlene! What a beautiful place to spend it...it does look very regal and British indeed!

    So glad you and R had such a lovely time...no photos of the food you devoured though? Or did it disappear too quickly?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a wonderful way to spend such a special anniversary. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations - and a very happy anniversary to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Belated happy anniversary and merry Christmas (an early new year felicitation whilst I'm at it)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Anniversary. How very romantic (all those sparkly lights)--your hubby is a great sport--definitely a keeper! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Anniversary and how clever to have a ploughmans tea to tempt the men. Afternoon tea is for the girls for me but maybe by our 25th I'll have persuaded Warmth!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Anniversary! Sounds like a great way to celebrate, though I'm with Rachel - where are the pictures of the cake?! Ken would enjoy that, I don't think we'd need to wait for our 25th :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations, and sounds like a perfect celebration. I've had tea at the King Eddy once, and it included a glass of port. Very refined.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Anniversary!

    And the Ploughman's Tea is such a brilliant idea. Exactly what I'd need to persuade G to take me to tea! Must keep an eye out for one...

    K x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kristina, I'm sure I read somewhere about a London hotel (can't remember which one) that does very substantial Churchillian teas -don't suppose you're allowed a cigar these days!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on your anniversary. Your tea sounds lovely. The Hotel Windsor here in Melbourne does a very similar thing, afternoon tea in lovely 19th century surroundings. The perfect way to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy anniversary to you both. What a wonderful way to spend your special day together! It is one of my dreams to attend a high tea one day, so I am very envious :o)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Anniversary to you both. The tea sounded wonderful

    ReplyDelete