Wednesday, July 18, 2012

A New Book or Five


A few books have been added to my shelves over the past couple of weeks...

If Walls Could Talk by Lucy Worsley - I've been on a bit of a non-fiction binge lately.  There is enough toilet talk in this historical read to keep a gaggle of eight year-old boys absolutely riveted...and me.  Straight talk about the hygiene habits and other behaviours of those who came before us has been keeping me up at night and making me awfully thankful for modern day plumbing, soap, deodorant and dentistry.  Who knew there was a difference in the way citizens regarded someone crawling with lice as opposed to someone full of fleas?  I will fill you in on all the details once I have finished the book.

Between the Acts & The Years by Virginia Woolf - Reading this post by Book Snob prompted a mental note to pick up a copy if I happened to stumble across one.  Good old Wordsworth Classics for publishing a lovely copy of not one but two stories together for an excellent price.  I have stood outside of Virginia's townhouse in Gordon Square, seen her bust in Tavistock Square, read Mrs Woolf & the Servants by Alison Light and skimmed some biographies but I have yet to read anything by Virginia herself.  Bit silly isn't it?

Beautiful for Ever by Helen Rappaport - Apparently 'Madame Rachel' (who was actually Sarah Levison from Whitechapel) lived in Victorian London having emerged from a state of poverty and all that that entails to become a highly sought after beautician in Mayfair.  She is also labelled on the front cover as a con-artist and blackmailer, two court trials provided enough evidence I suppose.  Madame Rachel and her exploits are referred to in Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon and disguised as Lydia Gwilt in Wilkie Collins's Armadale so a bit of reference homework will pay off during future reads I am sure.  Thanks to Elaine from Random Jottings for tempting me with this post.

The Penguin Book of British Comic Stories edited by Patricia Craig - Some of these compilations are good and some are excellent, this one is tops.  The contents page of works by authors such as Richmal Crompton, P. G. Wodehouse, E. M. Delafield, Kingsley Amis, Elizabeth Bowen, Katherine Mansfield had my smile growing by leaps and bounds.  Talk about being in the right place at the right time as it was being discarded from the library stacks and has found a new home at my house.

Complete Short Stories by Elizabeth Taylor - It makes me laugh to think of how many times I used to turn my nose up at short stories.  Now I love them!  Some time last year I emailed Virago to ask about Taylor's short stories as they were publishing everything else in celebration of her centenary.  A lovely reply came letting me know that yes, a collection was definitely in the works and would be worth waiting for.  My preorder receipt had been hanging around in my email's 'In Box' for months and months so it was a bit like welcoming a baby when a massive parcel finally appeared in my mailbox.  And oh what a pretty cover.

During a trip to Toronto last Sunday I discovered a new second-hand shop with shelves chock full of books reaching at least 12 feet high and a sliding ladder.  The prices were a bit steep so I just had fun looking and left empty-handed, it's not like I'll be short of things to read and there is always a next time.

17 comments:

  1. You have got some fantastic books there Darlene! I am so pleased you got Between the Acts - I'm sure you'll absolutely love it. And I love Lucy Worsley - have you seen her TV shows? I can't wait to hear about the book! It's so good to have you back :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm leaning towards reading Between the Acts next, Rachel. The time has come to face Virginia and her pen! We haven't had the pleasure of Lucy's documentaries here yet but Roman has been given strict instructions to keep his eye out for them. What is it with men and their constant trolling of the guide?

      Delete
  2. Like the look of the Elizabeth Taylor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That book and a quiet weekend would be sheer bliss, Mystica.

      Delete
  3. I've just been watching Lucy Worsley's Harlots, Housewives and Heroines. I'll have to look out for that book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Kate, I have missed you! The book is quite entertaining, you will laugh, squirm and say 'ugh' loads of times. I read an article about H,H and H in the Daily Telegraph, it's right up my street so if it doesn't show up on a cable channel then I just may be driven to do something illegal! Thrilled to hear from you...

      Delete
    2. I've had the library order it so I can snag it as soon as it comes in.

      I've missed you, too! I've been so bad at keeping up with blogs, but I've ruthlessly cut my blog list and I'm hoping to be around more. If you find yourself unable to wait for the show on cable, let me know and I shall come bearing links. :)

      Delete
  4. Hurrah for Woolf! I do hope you love Between the Acts. And I must re-read The Years. I think it was her bestseller during her life, but not often mentioned on blogs now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too, Simon! You hear Mrs Dalloway quoted from so often that I just assumed it was the bestseller from Virginia's oeuvre. For some reason knowing that the masses find a book really appealing matters so I can't help looking at the star rating on amazon for each new book that I buy.

      Delete
  5. A new second-hand bookshop in Toronto? Even if steepish prices, do tell, please. Name and location??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! I hope you're not too disappointed to learn it's not new to the city but new to me. It's Ten Editions at the corner of Spadina and Sussex...just a few minutes stroll down the street and around the corner from BMV on Bloor. It's absolutely packed with books and just a warning, it's a tad hot inside so dress in something cool if you plan on staying awhile. Have fun, Susan!

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the same Wordsworth edition of Between The Acts and The Years, and it is really excellent value for money. Beautiful For Ever sounds absolutely tempting, must check that out! And how fortunate of you to grab that Penguin Book of British Comic Stories!
    Happy reading.... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just had a hop over to yours, we share a fondness for loads of the same titles. I see that No Name is on your nightstand. Book Snob and I had a read-along for two a couple of years ago and we both really enjoyed it! Not sure where you live but London is my favourite city for all its museums, bookshops and galleries. Any book that takes me winding through its streets is like a mini holiday and I can't resist. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. Darlene, I've been on a bit of a VW quest so far this year, reading both Orlando and Mrs Dalloway and an excellent biography - Virginia Woolf: An inner Life by Julie Briggs and a lovely little book celebrating the homes of both Virginia and Vanessa Bell. I sometimes think I may prefer non-fiction loving biographies as I do. Recently finished Blaming by ET and now I'm reading Nicola Beauman's The Other Elizabeth Taylor. Once I hook on to an author I always feel a need to read their biographies....

    I think my next reads will be some of VW's essays and diaries.

    I love Lucy Worsley. Her book has now been added to my list too!

    Enjoy the VW's.

    Jeanne
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is definitely a gap in my reading for not having a work by VW under my belt, something to rectify straight away! Nicola wrote a beautiful biography in The Other Elizabeth Taylor, I actually got teary a few times while reading it. It has been a great resource to pull out when I finish one of Taylor's books which I'm doling out in dribs and drabs for fear of reading the last one. Have a super weekend, Jeanne!

      Delete
  9. Think I might treat myself to ET's short stories, too. Looking at it in Waterstones the other day and as you say the cover is beautiful. I'm in the mood for short stories right now.

    ReplyDelete