Monday, February 15, 2010

Adventures in Baking

Inspired by Verity's baking posts, I decided to try my hand at baking flapjacks. Now for those of us on this side of the pond, they don't resemble anything close to our flapjacks, also known as pancakes. Flapjacks are made of oats, brown sugar, butter with a bit of cinnamon. Some recipes call for golden syrup so there are several versions out there I'm sure. Whilst reaching for the brown sugar, I spied some chocolate chips and thought 'why not?'. I apologize in advance if I've made some of you cringe! The taste reminds me a bit of an oatmeal macaroon that I used to make. When R and I were first married, I made a batch which he took to work for sharing. He came home that day asking nonchalantly where I kept my recipe. 'Why?' was my response. In a sheepish manner, R told me how one co-worker said that he enjoyed the cookies so much that he would happily pay for a dozen. In the truest sense of miscommunication, it went through work that R was a part-time baker and was taking cookie orders! Not wanting to disappoint, R promised to return to work the next day with something like twelve dozen cookies. We worked together to make enough cookies and R was instructed to let everyone know that these cookies were on the house as the baking business was no longer in service. It wasn't so funny at the time but it makes me laugh to remember it now.

8 comments:

  1. Oh my...I can see how it wouldn't seem funny at the time but what a cute story. The flapjacks look so yummy...and now I will have competing images when I think of pancakes:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wondered what flapjacks were supposed to look like. Those look really yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look seriously yummy - I add choc chips sometimes for a decadent touch - cranberries go well with that too. Glad that I inspired you to put your pinny on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so funny! I love how people can get the wrong end of the stick so badly sometimes! I like a good fruit flapjack...a bit of coconut can jazz it up nicely too. My favourite are coconut, cherry and chocolate flapjacks. My mum used to make them and they are delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you could re-open your baking business! G will only eat the plainest ones: just butter, sugar, golden syrup, and oats.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Book Psmith, I have conflicting images with a few English items...like rubbers (erasers)!

    makedoandread, They're so yummy, I've just had one now with a cup of tea. I really could go for another but I'll be good.

    verity, Phew! Glad the chocolate chips weren't such a bad idea after all. Cranberries sound fabulous, I'll give that a try next time.

    booksnob, What a terrific combination, something for me to try next time. I'm not usually a fan of coconut but in these...definitely!

    Kristina, I'm going to try the golden syrup next time to see if they stick together a bit more. Deacon does like to scrouge for the crumbs though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I always thought flapjacks and pancakes were synonymous ... I learned something today! The flapjacks look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. JoAnn, I'm quite sure that when North Americans use the term 'flapjack', they mean a pancake. I suppose we here in North America have to pay attention to the context in which the term is being used. If you're reading a Jane Austen novel and read they're eating flapjacks, it's quite safe to say there is no syrup involved!

    ReplyDelete