Thursday, June 18, 2009

Rain Soaked Roses

I'm not far enough into Saplings yet to give any sort of a review other than it's really growing on me. So I thought that I would share a picture of our rambling rose bush, so full of rainwater it's almost touching the ground. R has just come in from walking Deacon and had me in stitches! Around here we have a 'junk pick-up', a couple of times a year the city will collect large items for the scrap heap. R told me that he had spied through some plastic wrap, a print featuring a mouse eyeing up a piece of fruit, sitting at the bottom of someones driveway. He thought to himself "Darlene loves mice, perhaps I could bring this home". R pulled back the plastic for a closer look and decided that the mouse had the look, not so much Beatrix Potter as Quentin Tarantino. The print stayed put. I thanked him for that.

6 comments:

  1. That's very entertaining. Sometimes, but rarely, you can get good stuff from skips.
    I'm glad you're enjoying Saplings, I bought a copy recently, with the intention of re-reading it, but with so many books that I haven't even read, it's unlikely to happen soon. (Currently feeling a little overwhelmed!). I can't remember much about it so look forward to refreshing my memory when you discuss it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. verity, Ever feel like you could pack a suitcase full of books and escape to a deserted island for two months, I do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. JoAnn, Thank you, everything is so lush and green at the moment. August will be a different story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your garden is lush and green and nice and private! I'm envious. It's turned hot here, so the weeds will be thriving! I'm not reading a Persephone at all--I was all set to start Dorothy Whipple, but I have some other things I need to get out of the way. When I'm done I'm not sure what I'll be in the mood for. I have Saplings, so I look forward to seeing what you think of it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Danielle, Camera angles can be deceptive, right behind my back when I took the shot is the road. It isn't a through street so we don't get that many cars going by. I have hoisted my teacup to passing neighbours every now and then!

    ReplyDelete