Friday, December 31, 2010

Festive This-n-That

For those of you interested in our musical Christmas crackers, here they are.  Along with the obligatory paper hat, joke and prize there is a horn with a number on its base.  Two pages of song sheets with a sequence of numbers will allow you and eleven of your friends to form your own musical group.  Or perhaps decrypt Enigma code.  Since six of the crackers are still intact we either have to pop the rest or wait until next year.  The Heiress has her eye on the heart-shaped pocket mirror as yet undiscovered so something tells me that tonight there will be some tooting going on...so to speak.

R was quite excited to find a copy of Blitz Spirit compiled by Jacqueline Mitchell for me.  Love the cover art but am wondering about Winston's 'whiskers'.  The Heiress gave me a copy of Blaming by Elizabeth Taylor which I am in the process of devouring.  A gift to myself, The Queen's Doll's House by Lucinda Lambton arrived in our mailbox today, I can't wait to sit down with a cup of tea and pour over every little thing...literally!  The Sunday Times and The Daily Telegraph were also courtesy of R, although he wrote on the gift tag that they were from Norris from The Kabin on Coronation Street.  It's a funny game we like to play at Christmas, tying in our gifts to characters from just about everything.  Too bad I couldn't jet over to England to collect my free Waitrose luxury biscuits though!

And this massive bowl of trifle is what R and I got up to this afternoon.  Making it, not eating it!  Quite ridiculous for the three of us, we may have to recruit friends to share it with.  We laughed after realizing that R had been feeding some of the leftover cake to Deacon that had been drizzled with sherry.  Not to worry, no harm done.  And really, a sleepy Border Collie wouldn't be all bad.

R and I have also had the pleasure of taking in two movies over the past few days.  The King's Speech was absolutely charming, the ultimate cosy film.  Colin Firth, Helena Bonham-Carter and Geoffrey Rush were a delightful acting trinity.  The Black Swan was both unsettling and outstanding.  You either sink back in fear or edge forward with anticipation during this one.  An Oscar nod will undoubtedly go to Portman, she was stunning.

In the last few hours of 2010, have a wonderful time celebrating in your favourite way.  We're going to indulge in a few thousand more calories before coming to our senses tomorrow.  Aren't the holidays fun!

12 comments:

  1. A very Happy New Year to all of you - may it bring much happiness always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can have a helping of that trifle for me. It looks yummy! Looks like you received lots of lovely gifts and have been spending your time festively! Hope you enjoy the rest of the holiday and Very Best Wishes in 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, can you air mail the leftover trifle to Vancouver? It looks delicious!

    Best wishes to you and your family for a happy and healthy 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year! Lovely trifle, one of my favourite desserts. I saw The King's Speech on Weds & loved it. Colin Firth should win the Oscar this year, fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful! There is a bit of a flaw with those crackers - you'll have to play 4 hooters each - eek! Thanks for your email - I will reply when I'm feeling a bit more like emailing, at the moment comments is all I can muster! Glad you liked the calendar tho x

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a delicous looking trifle! Love your crackers - we made 'coalition crackers' with a picture of Dave and Nick on the front, a gold and blue ribbon and a policy inside.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is 6 am here and that trifle looks so delicious from this viewing spot. Yum. I love to be gifted with books and am hoping to plunge further into Wait for Me! this new year's day. Happy New Year to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A few thousand more calories, indeed! Back to diet and exercise... tomorrow. Happy New Year, Darlene!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It all looks very good fun and I wouldn't mind some of that trifle! Maybe if I bought over some of those Waitross biscuits...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel a bit silly now - for some reason I thought that musical crackers made some sort of musical sound wehn you pulled them :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mystica, Thank you! And all the best to you and yours in the new year!

    Danielle, I wish you were here to share some and save me from myself! We've had a terrific holiday, I don't know how I'm going to go back to work tomorrow *sigh*.

    The Captive Reader, 'Trifle anyone?' was the catch phrase of the holiday. All the best, Claire, for a wonderful year ahead!

    lyn, Colin was pretty darn fantastic wasn't he! I'll be crossing my fingers for him on Oscar night.

    verity, It's not going to be easy...perhaps if I can teach Deacon...hmmm.

    Joan, I LOVE the idea of your coalition crackers! The Tom Smith Co. may be intersted.

    lifeonthecutoff, The Heiress had trifle for breakfast one morning so why not! You're in for a different sort of treat with Debo's book. I look forward to reading what you thought of it.

    JoAnn, From here on in it's fruit, nuts and fibre cereal! R wants to have pizza for dinner tonight...for the love of Pete!

    Rob, LOL! All boarding BA flight 0092....

    A Bookish Space, You and me both, don't feel silly at all! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wish I were there to share the trifle! And if only I'd known about the free luxury biscuits...

    Best wishes for a very happy New Year!

    K x

    ReplyDelete