Saturday, November 22, 2008

The Lost Garden

There seemed to be time to squeeze in another read before starting my collection of Christmas short stories. I so enjoyed Helen Humphreys, Coventry, and discovered that an earlier work of hers was set during the same time period. This novel takes place during 1941 and London is being destroyed by the Blitz. The main character, Gwen Davis, is a young horticulturist who is put in charge of instructing a group of young girls in growing crops for the home front. So we have a neglected country mansion, soldiers billeted close by and a young lady desperately in need of someone to love her. Although, she doesn't know it yet! Humpreys does such a terrific job of creating a movie in my head with her writing. From what I've experienced of her work so far she's succinct, pacey, literary and cozy - all things that I love in a book and I can't wait to see how it all turns out.

1 comment: