Thursday, December 11, 2008

Short Stories

There simply are not enough hours in the day at this time of year I find. Which is exactly why these short stories are fitting the bill so nicely. Elizabeth Bowen's tale Green Holly actually turned out to be a Christmas ghost story! I really enjoyed her writing and discovered that at the library we own a collection of Bowen's short stories. I brought it home and read Mysterious Kor which is about two lovers and their quest to be alone on a moonlit night during the Blitz. I'm looking forward to dipping back into that book later in 2009. Turning back to my Christmas stories I then chose an Anthony Trollope called Christmas at Thompson Hall. It involved a sick husband, his wife, a mustard plaster and a case of mistaken identity. How's that for a plot? Christmas will never be the same for those people. There was a rather odd story by Muriel Spark called Christmas Fugue. My eyes kept popping whilst reading as the main character, Cynthia "made love" to a pilot during a flight - several times! I'm thinking that back when this story was written Muriel meant something a bit less salacious with that reference. Moving right along, Evelyn Waugh is up next with Bella Fleace Gave a Party, the red silk ribbon is holding my place until later this evening. I think there's a cup of hot chocolate in the picture as well, good night!

5 comments:

  1. I gave in and bought a copy at Waterstones this week! K x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristina, I never used to be a fan of short stories. I think it may have to do with having to read sci-fi shorts in high school. I'm really enjoying these tidbits so I think I'm well and truly converted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like perfect reading for the season!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joann, It's terrific that the stories are not too syrupy. Each one has been so different I never know what to expect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought this book based solely on its cover. It is so pretty, and it looked good on the coffee table with the Christmas tree lights reflecting off of it. With the busy holidays, however, I never managed to actually pick it up and read it. And now that Christmas is long gone I have moved on to other reading. I will have to time it better this year when the season rolls around again.

    ReplyDelete