Friday, June 3, 2011

Bouchons au Thon

The date has been set for one of several friendly competitions between friends this summer. 

AppetizerFest will be an afternoon of consuming delicious tidbits and assigning marks based on various criteria.  It's really just another excuse to have a laugh with friends and partake in some culinary jousting.  One of our friends thought this would be the perfect time to introduce a woman he had recently began seeing romantically.  Can you imagine what ran through her mind with fifteen other people pulling out score sheets and mulling over every detail of an appetizer?  It's one thing to know you're amongst friends who are completely full of it but poor Ms M must have been wondering what she had got herself into.  While everyone was chewing and mulling, pens poised to assign a mark, I leaned over and said quietly "We are so full of it it's not even funny" which made her laugh.  The very lovely Ms M is still around and will be in on the fun for this year's competition.

Mrs Miniver's Daughter recently wrote about discovering a copy of A Homemade Life by Molly Wizenberg and a craving for Bouchon au Thon was heartily underway.  I made a batch on Wednesday in regular muffin tins as called for but I'm thinking that baked in those miniature tins they would make a lovely bite-sized appetizer.  Would they be boring without some sort of dipping sauce?  These are basically tuna, egg and Gruyere cheese so if you have any suggestions for something zingy to accompany them please feel free to share!

6 comments:

  1. I still haven't made that lemon cake, Darlene - and now it looks as if I'll have to work most of this weekend, so won't be anytime soon.
    The absolutely best ever, unforgettable appetiser that I've ever tasted was zucchini flower fritters, lightly sugared and so light ... I haven't a clue how to make them but I've never forgotten them and they'd be hugely impressive. (Was at a posh catered party.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm - tasty. I have yet to make anything out of homemade life. Maybe a tomatoey sauce?

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are favorites at our house. I wouldn't use a sauce--just makes it more complicated and harder to eat at a party. They already have a tomato/onion flavor, and the richness of the cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this book! The chocolate cake is to die for.

    I would suggest a caper, dill and lemon dipping sauce. But that's a niche taste, I am aware. I love capers.

    This competition sounds fantastic! Some friends and I did that years ago when we lived in a house of girls and a house of boys - we had the boys for dinner and then they had us for dinner and we were very impressed with the boys' cooking, though of course, we were the best. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found a simple sauce {originally intended for crab cakes} made by pureeing together (approx.) 1/2 cup mayonnaise, half a roasted red bell pepper, and about 1/2 teaspoon each curry powder and minced garlic, plus salt and pepper to taste. It's a beautiful color, and when I dig out my copy of AHL to find out how I could have possibly missed this recipe, I'll probably make some. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You guys have the best Fests! And I'm thinking it's time for me to reread A Homemade Life (and do a bit of cooking from it too!).

    K x

    ReplyDelete